Applicable regulations may vary depending on how long you are going to stay in a foreign country, on your country of origin as well as on your host country's rules.

European Union

Au pairs coming from a EU-country with a European Health Insurance CArd (EHIC) are entitled to medical care during their three month stay in Italy. The au pair will pay a ticket which is not refundable. The Health Insurance Card doesn't cover any private insurance. In this case we recommend you to take out extra private health insurance. For au pairs staying longer than 3 months, they must hold an EHIC and register to the Italian Health System ( Servizio Sanitario Nazionale ) in order to be entitled to health care. The registration must be done with the competent authority and by presenting your tax identification number (codice fiscale). The registration is done at the local health authority ( ASL) according to your place of residence. We recommend the Host family to pay for the registration costs.

Non EU-Countries

L' Au pairs from non EU-countries wishing to be entitled to public health care in Italy can either register with the National Health System or take out private medical insurance. We recommend the Host Family to make a contribution in order to cover the registration costs.

Insurance Coverage against Household Injuries

The Italian  National Institute for Insurance against Labour Accidents provides an insurance coverage for serious household injuries occurred during working times at the host family's home.